Cows - Matthew Stokoe

"Bizzarro" fiction that is probably the most disgusting novel I have ever read.


I don't know why I read this. I don't even like cows that much.

This is the story of a man who is stuck living with his overly controlling mother, who finds a job at the local abattoir and falls in love with his upstairs neighbour. Then lots of weird stuff happens to him.

The endorsements on the back of this book included one by Kerrang! magazine, which is probably why I read this book. Every Amazon review said it was disgusting, and it was all about bestiality. How bad could it be?

Pretty bad, it turns out. This book painted a picture of a bleak world of bestiality, people eating shit  and secret cow societies. Truly bizarre and grotesque, reading this became a test of endurance. One wonders if Matthew Stokoe told his friends about his book, and if they read it whether they can look him in the eye.

If you want a surreal tale with strong graphc imagery this is the one for you. If this isn't your cup of tea then avoid this at all costs.

It's hard to see past the graphic content of this book, and I think that takes the attention away from the story a bit too much. Luckily it's a short book, otherwise the over-the-top shocks would become tiresome. The story is original, the writing is good, but it lacks the certain something that makes a book a really good book. Stokoe is definitely a talented author and I'll read more of his books in the future. I'm sure he will write some potential cult classics, but I don't think Cows is the best he is capable of.

I'd give this book a 5/10 but that doesn't mean it's one I will forget in a hurry. I'd recommend this for anyone interested in the perverse. It's a strong early novel by Stokoe, and he has shown himself as one to keep an eye on.

Have you read this book? Love it? Hate it? Let me know what you think in the comments


0 comments:

Post a Comment